“No shoes, No shirt, No problems
Blues what blues..hey I forgot them
The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand with no bottom
and no shoes, no shirt, and no problems!”
Kenny Chesney might have phrased it best, but where he likes Mexico, we like Lake Lanier! There really is nothing better than relaxing on the beach with your toes in the sand, listening to some great country music!! And that’s just what we’ll be doing here on Saturday, when 94.9 The Bull sets up shop at LanierWorld from 1-3pm! In honor of that glorious time, we’ve put together a very specific list of our Top 10 Lakeside Songs of Summer, are you ready?? Here we go:
10. We’re starting off with “Summertime Blues,” Eddie Cochran’s Rockabilly classic from 1958. Alan Jackson brought this song back to the top in 1994, and it’s been covered by a ton of artists including the Beach Boys, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, and even Joan Jett! We gave it our last spot because Summer’s already down one month and it kind of is giving us the blues.
9. We’re giving the #9 slot to Jake Owen’s “Barefoot Blue Jean Night” because this is what summer on the lake is all about! “A full moon shinin’ bright, edge of the water; we were feelin’ alright”
8. Tim McGraw’s “Something Like That” is the 8 seed. We love this song in particular because it reminds us of hanging out at the Stone Mountain Laser Show back in the day. Remember that song on the mountain? With that cute kid and the barbeque stain on his white t-shirt? That was great.
7. Zac Brown Band is next with “Toes,” a song all about what we love down at Big Beach and Sunset Cove! Toes in the water, toes in the sand, no worries in the world, cold beers in people’s hands. It wouldn’t hurt to win the lottery either… Life is good today, Zac Brown Band! Thanks to you!
6. The #6 spot on our list goes to Luke Bryan and his super-fun-to-dance-like-a-crazy-person song “Country Girl (Shake It For Me)” because really, this song is SO FUN TO DANCE TO.
5. “Summertime” by Kenny Chesney gets our next slot. We love him so much we gave away some tickets just last week to his upcoming “No Shoes Nation” concert!
4. The #4 spot goes to the one and only Don Henley and “Boys of Summer.” After Henley took a break from drumming and singing for The Eagles, he released this song in 1984 which won him a grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance. Although The Eagles and Henley have walked the tightrope between rock and country for years, we’re thinking that a song about past relationships, growing up, and summer love is right in line with your typical country summer anthem.
3. Rascal Flatts “Summer Nights” gets the third spot in our list purely for the awesome factor of their music video. That looks like one fun party to us.
2. His name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid Rock! In 2008, “All Summer Long” netted Kid Rock his first Top-10 Country hit ever! This incredible Southern summer anthem actually began as a mashup of Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s classic “Sweet Home Alabama,” which you can easily make out in the chorus vocals and guitar riffs.
1. Of COURSE we’re going to go with a lake-centric, chill, totally fun song for the #1 Top Lakeside Song of Summer!! We picked “Pontoon” by Little Big Town! Can’t you just picture yourself chillin’ on a deck chair on your pontoon, a drink from the Tiki Hut in hand, and watchin’ the crew play some volleyball at Sunset Cove? We can’t think of any song that better personifies Summer on Lake Lanier than this one!
What about you? What are your top 10 summer songs? Feel free to leave them in the comment section!
BONUS VIDEO!! Eddie Cochran singing his original “Summertime Blues” in 1958!!